We will no longer be conducting class discussions on this blog. Please go to: http://core.dawnolmo.com.
You can log in at the bottom of the page. You can submit assignments here. Thanks!
You are starting Excel next week. Hurray! Excel is fun! Trust me on this. I know what I speak of.
- How do you feel about your knowledge of Excel? Have you used it before? When?
- Have you ever used it for something at home? What for? Was it helpful?
- What parts of Excel do you think you’ll have the most trouble with? Look for a website that talks about this part of Excel (for example, if you think you’re biggest problem will be with functions or formulas, search for an article like that.) When you find it, link it for us and let us know how it will help, or how it didn’t help.
- If you have finished your First Mod (Word and Access) please let Michelle (Tuesday/Thursday) know a little about Word. What is your favorite part of Word? What was the hardest part of Word? What kind of advice can you give her to do well in Word?
First Response is Due by Wednesday, February 12th by 6pm. Must be at least 200 words.
Second Response (2 of them) are due by Monday, February 17th by 6pm. 75 words or more.
You are starting Word next week. Hurray! I love Word. I can do so many things in Word. I can do things in Word that I don’t even teach you how to do in Word. Love WORD!
- How do you feel about your knowledge of Word? Have you used it before? When? Why?
- Have you ever used it for something at home? What for?
- Do you open the program and just type or do you know more about it than that?
- What parts of Word you think will give you the most problems? Look for a website that talks about that part of Word and share it with us. Do you think it will be helpful throughout the course?
- You’re finishing up your First Mod. The Monday/Wednesday class are 6 weeks behind you and are just starting Excel. Give them a bit of advice about Excel. What helped you understand parts of it? What can they do to ensure they do well in Excel?
First Response is due by Thursday, February 13th by 6pm. Must be at least 200 words.
Second Response is due by Tuesday, February 18th by 6pm. Must be at least 75 words. There must be TWO responses, at the least.
Look online for websites that give examples of some different things you can do with Excel. Copy and paste two links to the websites you found. Explain what amazing things each website talked about. Did you already know it was something you could do? Did you already know how to do it? What new things did they show you how to do? How could you use any of these items for work or home? Try not to pick the first two sites you find, actually look through the list and find the ones that you LIKE.
Your first post is due by 6pm on Friday, January 16th. Your second response (to me) is due by Tuesday, by 6pm, January 21st.
Your first response should be at least 150 words.
Your second should be at least 75 words.
If your words or images are not on point, making them dance in color won’t make them relevant. Edward Tufte
Read the following article: http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/11.09/ppt2.html Do you agree or disagree with any of the content? Why or why not? Remember, this was written in 2003, but PowerPoint presentations have not changed much during that time, the program has just become much easier to use and contains a lot more fun items to play with. Then, look for at least two articles that give advice for good PowerPoint presentations. One could also be about what makes a presentation bad. Explain the relevant points in the articles after you link them. What new information did you learn? What information did you disagree with or agree with and why? Which pieces of information will you keep in mind when creating your own presentation?
Reply to two students. Your replies should be more than three sentences, and say more then “I agree.” Don’t repeat information they have given, instead, ask questions, explain why you agree or disagree. It’s a conversation, treat it as one.
First response is due by Wednesday, January 15th by 6pm. It must be at least 150 words.
Second two responses are due by Monday, January 20th by 6pm. These must be at least 75 words each.
Preparation: Knowing yourself.
First Response: Welcome to Interface! What do you want to be when you grow up? What are you hoping to be when you leave here? Did you know that recent studies have shown that most people change careers at least 4 times in their lives? Could you envision yourself doing something else? Becoming a CEO? Flying an airplane?
Have you gone to school before? Where? How long ago? (If you want to disclose that information!) Then tell us something about yourself that we couldn’t guess just by looking at you.
Second Response: Please read some of your classmates’ responses and reply to them. Engage them in a conversation about their interests and yours.
First response is due by the end of class on Wednesday. Second responses (2) are due by Monday, 1/13/2014 by 6pm (before the start of class.) You can respond to me. For this post, there is no necessary word count, but future blog discussions will have word counts (for instance, it will say your initial response must be 200 words and your replies have to be 100 words, or something of that nature.)
This blog is a little convoluted, so please bear with me. We have two people leaving our Monday/Wednesday Class and going on to new things. We are also starting a new program upon your return in January.
Monday/Wednesday: Please take a moment to say Goodbye to Maria and Danielle. Write them a short bit of praise. Then, answer these questions: 1. Have you ever Used PowerPoint? 2. How familiar are you with PowerPoint? 3. What scares you about PowerPoint? 4. What are you looking forward to in PowerPoint? If you are Maria or Danielle, please take a moment to say goodbye to your classmates. Write a bit of praise for each one, listing them by name. Then, give them advice on PowerPoint and Excel.
Tuesday/Thursday: We are starting Excel in January. Have you ever used Excel? What are you looking forward to in Excel? What are you afraid of in Excel? How do you think you will do in Excel? Go to http://students.interface.edu/dawn/examples.html and look at the 2 things students have created on how to do something in Excel. Then, do a google search and give me 1 link to a site that is meant to help you with Excel. What are some of the features of the site? How will it be helpful, do you think?
First Responses: Monday/Wednesday – Due 12/18/2013 by 6pm. Must be at least 150 words long. Tuesday/Thursday – Due 12/19/2013 by 6pm. Must be at least 150 words long.
Second Responses (2): Monday/Wednesday – Due 01/06/2014 by 6pm. Must be at least 75 words long. Tuesday/Thursday – Due 01/07/2014 by 6pm. Must be at least 75 words long. Please reply to someone in the other class, give them some advice about PowerPoint. What strategies should they employ? What are some of your best tips? What are some of the problems you encountered?
The Cost of Losing an Employee
- Research on the internet the “cost in replacing an employee.” Cite at least two web sites where you found this information (copy URL into your response).
- Summarize your findings of components of cost that is part of the total cost to replace an employee.
- Discuss what options a company has to reduce different components you found in #2.
- List the cost component
- Identify how the company might try to reduce that cost (for example, if the cost is “high recruiter costs,” the company might reduce this cost by stop using a recruiting agency and take on that function in their own Human Resources department if they have the resources to do it).
- Give your opinion on how a company can reduce “employee turnover” which will minimize costs in replacing employees.
Please number each response so everyone will be able to more easily identify and respond to each of the four components.
First Response is due by Wednesday, December 4th by 6pm. This response needs to be at least 200 words and contain 2 Links.
Second Responses (2) are due by Monday, December 9th by 6pm. These should be in response to two of your classmates and be at least 100 words.
If You Could Create an App
If you could code and create any app you wanted to create, what would it be, and why? How would you learn to create one? Find two websites that talk about or show us or allow us to create apps. Try to find sites different from those of your fellow students. If your app idea already exists, how would you improve upon it? What would be the sole purpose of this app? Can you think of any apps that could be created for job hunting that could be helpful? If you did create it, how much would you charge?
Your first response should be at least 200 words and is due by Thursday, September 26th by 6pm. Your second (2) responses should be at least 75 words and are due by Tuesday, October 1st before the beginning of class.
Choose your own topic – Technology
Preparation: Research a technology topic of your choice on the internet.
First Response: Tell us about the technology you researched. Why did you choose this topic? Please provide us with the hyperlinks to three sites that you felt were the most informative on your topic or brought up an issue with the topic. Tell us why you chose these sites. What should we know about this technology? What should we think about while we read the sites you sent us to?(For example, you might research cell phones and then have us comment on proper etiquette for cell phones). Responses should be at least 250 words.
Second Response: Please read two of your classmates’ messages. Please visit the sites that were provided for you. Now please reply to your classmate. What did you learn about this technology? What questions do you have about the technology? What do you have to say in response to the items that your classmate asked you to think about while reading the sites he/she sent you to. Responses should be at least 100 words.
First Response is due by Thursday, September 19th by 6pm. Second responses are due by Tuesday, September 24th by 6pm.